We offer a rigorous academic curriculum based on 21st Century Skills. We provide our students with a research based, developmentally appropriate curriculum based on the Florida Early Learning and Developmental Standards for Four-Year-Olds.
- Language, Communication, and Emergent Literacy
- Phonological awareness (knowledge of the sound structure of words and language – i.e. rhyming, sound counting in words and sentences, sound manipulation in words).
- Awareness of letters and their sounds.
- Awareness of book and basic story structure.
- Speaking and listening skills.
- Beginning writing through dictation, pictures, and letter-like shapes, symbols, and letters.
- Approaches to Learning
- Abilities to use curiosity, persistence, creativity, planning and reflection.
- Understanding of Catholic beliefs and prayers.
- Physical Development
- Gross motor skills for increased balance and coordination.
- Fine motor skills to perform small muscle tasks and to control writing, drawing, and art tools.
- Social and Emotional Development
- Social skills needed to function independently and cooperatively.
- Cognitive Development and General Knowledge (Math, Science, Social Studies, Art)
- Understanding of counting and one-to-one correspondence.
- Understanding of spoken and written numbers and quantity.
- Understanding of patterns and non-patterns.
- Understanding of basic measurement skills and tools.
- Ability to recognize two and three dimensional shapes and their attributes.
- Basic understanding of addition and subtraction.
- Ability to solve simple problems.
- Awareness of science and social studies topics.
- Awareness of visual and musical art, creative movement and dramatic play
Looking for a Merritt Island VPK for your child? Contact us today!